Monday, January 30, 2012

Last Night’s Dinner: Potato Soup

So everyone is always asking me or Hubby what it is that we are eating and how they can make it themselves. I can’t quite understand why – I never think that it is anything complicated. So for those people that keep asking me for recipes that I never have, I am starting a new “feature” here on my blog – what we had for dinner and how I made it.

You’re welcome in advance (but really, I don’t know why anyone wants to know.)

Last night, I made Potato Soup. By last night, I mean we ate it last night but it took all day to make in the crock pot. We were cleaning (really cleaning – as in the house is more of a mess than when we started but it is getting better in all of those places that no one ever looks and out in the open too). Hubby likes thick soups and this was a velvety smooth type of thick by the time it was all said and done and I loved it. It made enough for dinner last night, lunch today, another dinner in the refrigerator, and one more for the freezer. Wow – that’s a lot of soup for such little effort!

Potato Soup


5 pounds of potatoes – diced with skins still on
1 onion – diced
4 stalks of celery – split and diced
5 teaspoons of minced garlic
1 tablespoon of Seasoned Salt
8 cups of chicken broth or stock
2 bricks of cream cheese (for right before serving)

Wash and dice the potatoes, onion, and celery and place them in the crock pot. Add the garlic and Seasoned Salt. Cover with the chicken stock (I used stock left over from a whole chicken that I also cooked in the crock pot – it was almost a jelly, so I put in 4 cups of chicken jelly and 4 cups of water – perfection) and place on low for 8-10 hours. Go on with your day and when you are ready to eat, chunk up the cream cheese, put it in the crock pot and break out the immersion blender. Blend the entire pot (or reserve some to add back if you like chunks in your soup) and top with anything that you like – grated cheese, green onions, bacon…just go wild with it!

So that’s what was for dinner!


Love,

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment